These cookies are really yummy! They are more of a savory cookie than sweet, though there's sugar in there. They were served at our recent Open House in Chattanooga, and they were a big hit! These savory cookies taste great with our sugary masala chai too :)
Cumin Cookies/Jeera Biscuits
1 Cup + 2 Tb all purpose flour
1/2 Cup butter (unsalted) at room temperature
1/4 Cup + 1 Tb white sugar
1/4 tp salt
1 Tb cumin/jeera seeds
1. Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
2. On a cookie sheet, put 1 Tb of cumin seeds and roast them 3-4 minutes at 350 degrees or until you get a nice fragrance from them. Set aside.
3. Cream together the butter and sugar.
4. Add the flour, salt, and 3/4 Tb of the roasted cumin seeds to the butter and sugar. Reserve the remaining cumin seeds to sprinkle on top of the cookies. Mix at low speed until the mixture comes together as a ball.
5. Sprinkle flour on a flat surface and shape dough into disc shape.
6. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Using a small round cookie cutter, cut and sprinkle with remaining roasted cumin seeds.
7. Place cookies on a cookie sheet lined with parchment and bake at 350 degrees for 14 minutes, or until they are light golden brown on the edges.
8. Place on wire rack to cool completely and store in airtight container.
Photo credit: Susie Helton
Cumin Cookies (Jeera Biscuits)
Leave a comment